I’ve released new versions of Animation, ButtonControls, EditControls and TrackBar. All controls come with improved drawing code which fixes a couple of problems that could occur with version 6.0 of comctl32.dll.
You might wonder what happened to ButtonControls 1.8.0. Well, I released it yesterday and an hour later I had an idea how the drawing performance of the Frame control can be improved extremely while making it more robust against drawing issues at the same time. I could have canceled the release, but this would have produced some chaos in my source code repository.
EditControls 1.8.0 contains an interesting new VB6 sample project: A search box that looks and feels like the search box of Windows 7 Explorer. It also requires the ToolBarControls library and runs on Windows Vista/7 only with Aero Glass being activated – that’s the price for using modern API calls.
I’ve released the following controls:
- DateTimeControls 1.3.0
- EditControls 1.7.0
- ExplorerListView 1.3.0
- ExplorerTreeView 2.2.0
- TabStrip 1.5.0
- TrackBar 1.5.0
The DateTimeControls, EditControls and the TrackBar control have got the new DetectDoubleClicks property. For some controls, for instance for the Calendar control, Windows does not detect double mouse clicks. I wanted to provide DblClick events, so I worked around this limitation. Unfortunately the Microsoft developers had good reasons to not detect double-clicks for some controls. For instance if you rapidly click on the navigation arrows of the calendar control, you want the months fly by rapidly, but with double clicks enabled, the app will run into double clicks every now and then, and this slows down navigation alot. So I decided to implement a new property which can be used to deactivate my work-around. Attention: For the Calendar control and the up-down part of the UpDownTextBox control, double-clicks now are disabled by default. If you use the DblClick events of those controls, make sure to change the DetectDoubleClicks property to True.
The TabStrip control now can attach a window (usually a control) with a tab and show/hide this window depending on the tab selection. This should make it a bit easier to display different controls on each tab. For instance the attached window could be a Frame control (without border and caption) that contains a specific tab’s child controls. Selecting the tab would make the Frame control (and its content) visible; unselecting the tab would make the Frame control invisible.
ExplorerListView and ExplorerTreeView come with new sorting capabilities. There are new sort criterions which are based on the item text (just like sobText), but treat the texts as integer values, floating point values, currency values or date/time values. Your items are named “1”, “10” and “2” and you want them to be sorted “1”-“2”-“10” instead of alphabetically, which would be “1”-“10”-“2”? No problem! Simply specify sobNumericIntText as the sort criterion. You can also specify the locale identifier and a couple of flags that are applied when parsing the texts. Of course all this also applies to sorting listview groups.
Additionally I improved the ItemGetDisplayInfo event a bit.
I’ve fixed some bugs in the EditControls library. Some properties could not be changed at runtime.
I’ve released the next bunch of updates. As yesterday these are bug fix releases, no feature releases.
Happy new year to everyone!
I have released new versions of some controls. I fixed several bugs, including crashes (which did not happen often though). I also migrated to Visual C++ 2010. Unfortunately this also means that Windows 2000 is not supported any longer, because the compiler doesn’t support it anymore.
I have released version 1.5.0 of the EditControls control library. It introduces a new property page for specifying Unicode texts at design time and fixes two bugs.
Happy new year!
I’ve released updates of Animation, ButtonControls, ComboListBoxControls, DateTimeControls and EditControls. The ComboListBoxControls update is a larger one and includes a new feature. The other updates contain minor fixes and tweaks only.
I’ve also started to ship stripped debug symbol files (*.pdb) with the binaries. This will give you more detailed stack traces when creating crash dumps or debugging your program with a symbolic debugger like Visual C++.
I’ve released updates of ButtonControls and EditControls. For ButtonControls, I mainly improved the data-binding support of the CheckBox control. For EditControls, I mainly fixed some serious drawing issues that had been introduced with version 1.4.0. See the changelogs for details.
I’ve released updates of Animation, ButtonControls, EditControls and StatusBar. Animation, ButtonControls and StatusBar got the usual bugfixes. As for the controls released two weeks ago, I could lower the usage of GDI objects.
Animation and StatusBar support Windows 7 now, too. EditControls got some new features. See the changelog for details.
I’ve released a minor update of EditControls. Not much has changed. OLE drag’n’drop has been improved a bit and it is possible to set the Appearance property to “Default” now (HotKeyBox and IPAddressBox only). Also this is the first release supporting Windows 7.