ExplorerTreeView and ExplorerListView

The place for threads about version 1.x of TimoSoft ExplorerTreeView.
student

ExplorerTreeView and ExplorerListView

Post by student »

Hi,

the new website looks great!

I just want to ask, when do you release the ExplorerListView-Control? I'm awaiting it a long time and it would be so cool to design an own FileSelection-Dialog with your controls and without having to implement the (ugly) CommonDialog in ones project any more.

Is the ExplorerTreeView for Windows XP only or can I also use it in Windows 9x?

Thanks

student
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

Hi!

Well, ExplorerListView is a never-ending story. I started it in Visual Basic 6 2 years ago. But at about 50% completeness, I came to the conclusion that VB6 is to restricted for such a control. I had big performance issues and other problems that can't be solved in VB6. So I decided to learn C++ and start again (wow, this sounds so easy, but it isn't). Unfortunately I wasted 6 months with learning crappy MFC before I discovered ATL/WTL and again 2 months with Attributed ATL which is full of bugs and actually unusable.
Because an ExplorerTreeView is easier than an ExplorerListView and because I already have much experience with a treeview, I decided to start with ExplorerTreeView 2.0 and write ExplorerListView time-shifted.
Unfortunately (well, actually I should be glad) I got a job 18 months ago which means I don't have much spare time anymore. However, ExplorerTreeView 2.0 is at ~40%. At the moment I'm writing the documentation for those features that are already implemented. ExplorerListView is at ~15%. Chances are not that bad, that ExplorerTreeView 2.0 will be released before the end of this year and ExplorerListView maybe in April 2005. Of course I'll publish several beta versions before.
student wrote:Is the ExplorerTreeView for Windows XP only or can I also use it in Windows 9x?
It works with Windows 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP and probably also 2003. All you need is version 4.80 (or higher) of shell32.dll. So Windows 95 and NT4 won't work out of the box, but after installation of Internet Explorer 4.0 including the shell update. Some features have higher requirements. In these cases the feature's helptext (which you get through VB's object browser) includes a short hint.
At the moment there's a tricky bug that crashes the control on Windows 95/98/Me/NT4. I'm working on a fix.

Timo
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!