Crash bug when saving projects

The place for threads about TimoSoft ExplorerListView.
rlvision
Lieutenant

Crash bug when saving projects

Post by rlvision »

Hi Timo,

I'm trying ExplorerListview (latest version) and found that it crashes when I try to save projects. I can open and save your sample projects, but if I add a new Listview to the form, or start a new project and put a single listview on the form, and then try to save it, the whole VB6 IDE crashes (and trashes the form file)! VB6 produces .tmp files where you can see where it crashed. Exactly where seems different depending on project though. Tell me if you need some more info from me.
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crash bug when saving projects

Post by TiKu »

I'll look into it tonight.
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

Which version of Windows do you use? So far I cannot reproduce the crash. Oh, and probably more important: Do you change any properties before saving the project? Which?
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
rlvision
Lieutenant

Post by rlvision »

I run Windows XP SP2

All I do is to create a new project, add ExplorerListView to the component list and draw a listview onto the form, and then save the form.

The crash dialog says something about oleaut32.dll:

Code: Select all

AppName: vb6.exe	 AppVer: 6.0.97.82	 ModName: oleaut32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.3139	 Offset: 0000503f
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

I could reproduce it in a Virtual Machine with Windows XP and I could fix it. Windows 7 (maybe also Vista) seems to have some extra error checks when dealing with safe arrays, so it does not crash.
Some of my other controls probably have the same problem. :-(
rlvision
Lieutenant

Post by rlvision »

I could reproduce it in a Virtual Machine with Windows XP and I could fix it. Windows 7 (maybe also Vista) seems to have some extra error checks when dealing with safe arrays, so it does not crash.
I have another XP computer at work that I did the same test on, and same result. This machine is XP SP3 with all updates.
TiKu wrote:Some of my other controls probably have the same problem. :-(
I did a quick test with all your other controls, and I'm glad to let you know that I had no problems with them!
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

Many thanks for testing. It must have taken a while. I'm glad that none of my other controls crashes, but just to be sure, I integrated the fix into all of them that contain the same errornous code.
rlvision
Lieutenant

Post by rlvision »

By looking at the unfinished saved files it was pretty clear that the crash happened when saving the properties of the control. Since the listviews in your projects were working, I figured that if I compared them to new ones and change the new ones' settings to match "your", I should be able to determine the cause. It worked!

:idea: The crash occurs when you do not enter anything in the EmptyMarkupText