Install: Extract COM Information

The place for threads about TimoSoft LabelControls.
baron
Lt. Commander

Install: Extract COM Information

Post by baron »

I added the LblCtlsU.OCX to an InstallShield installer and, as I do with every OCX file, I specified that it should 'Extract COM Information' from this control so that it will install and uninstall the controls cleanly.

This resulted in an error in installshield by regtlib.exe "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." etc

When I remove this option, it works fine and the installed program even runs. On first run the registration info appears in the registry so I presume it registered itself automatically somehow when it was called... BUT when I uninstall the program, it leaves behind the registry info for the lbl control which isn't good.

What's interesting is that the Editctrls OCX does NOT have this issue. It extracts COM info AND cleans out the registry when I uninstall like it should.

So what's the difference between these components, and can this be fixed somehow so that it can be uninstalled?
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Install: Extract COM Information

Post by TiKu »

I've no experience with InstallShield. Can you test whether this also happens with an older version of the LabelControls library (for instance version 1.0.4)?
I don't remember any black magic in the COM interface definition of the LabelControls library.
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!
baron
Lt. Commander

Post by baron »

Version 1.0.3.65: Works
Version 1.0.4.69: Works
Version 1.0.5.75: Doesn't Work
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

So it probably has something to do with the work-around for the data-binding issues. In March I had to disable data-binding capabilities in all my controls, because a faulty Windows update rendered the controls unusable when they identified themselves as supporting data-binding. Now I've found a way to work around these problems, so that I could enable data-binding again. LabelControls 1.0.5 has been the first release with this work-around. Looks like InstallShield doesn't like the work-around (or the data-binding attributes in the COM interface definition).
I'm sorry, but I consider working data-binding more important than supporting a special option in InstallShield.

Regards
TiKu
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!
baron
Lt. Commander

Post by baron »

I understand the decision based on priority.

Actually, I just found a workaround for anyone that needs such information on this forum: It seems that the alternative 'Self-Registration' option works fine without any error message AND it seems to uninstalls the reg info as well, so all is solved. Installshield merely states that the 'Extract COM Info' option is 'more reliable', whatever that means.

I assume this means that the next/current Edit Controls will also require this option...

Again, thanks for the support.