Use Treeview as Explorer-Treeview?

The place for threads about version 2.x of TimoSoft ExplorerTreeView.
thVb6
Cadet

Use Treeview as Explorer-Treeview?

Post by thVb6 »

Hi
a couple of years ago I enjoyed working with extvw 1.x in VB6.
Meanwhile I work with VB.Net. Tried to use extvw 2. now as I did with 1.x.
Seems difficult. In v1 automatically the treeview showed the windows explorertreeview. It seems, that the version 2 doesn' t do so.
So: How can I use the version 2 as easyly as V1 to use it as an explorer-Treeview for the files on my computer like V1 did?
(Hope this question is not too silly...)

Thank you!
TH
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Use Treeview as Explorer-Treeview?

Post by TiKu »

I've splitted ExplorerTreeView 1.x into two controls: ExplorerTreeView and ShellTreeView (ShellTreeView is part of the ShellBrowserControls library). ExplorerTreeView 2.x is a normal tree view control, which optionally can be attached to the ShellTreeView control to extend it with shell-browsing features. This split-up has a couple of benefits:
  • Shell code and tree view code are separated. This makes it much easier for me to debug the code. And it improves customizability of the controls.
  • ShellTreeView and ShellListView can share a lot of code.
  • ExplorerTreeView and especially ExplorerListView already are very complex controls. With the (even more complex) shell code directly built-in, code complexity would have become a nightmare.
  • The tree view and list view controls can be used as normal tree/list view, without the bloat of all the shell code.
I agree that the name "ExplorerTreeView" is a bit misleading, but when I realized this, it was already too late to change it.

So, to answer your question: You also need ShellTreeView from the ShellBrowserControls library. This library comes with an Explorer sample that demonstrates how to use all the controls to create a simple Explorer-like application. You should have a look at this sample. If you have specific questions, feel free to contact me.

Regards
TiKu
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!
thVb6
Cadet

Re: Use Treeview as Explorer-Treeview?

Post by thVb6 »

Thank you Timo, I'll try that.
Maybe it takes a little time because my time normaly is occpupied with my profession...
TH