Crash down

The place for threads about TimoSoft StatusBar.
Rucksacktraeger
Lieutenant

Crash down

Post by Rucksacktraeger »

Hi,

The StatusBar works so far. But when I keep my mouse pointer for more than 1second on the control, the whole application crashes down. You can test it with a new project. Just insert the component and place a unicode statusbar in the form. Or is this error only at my computer?!?

Best Regards, Pete
Attachments
error.PNG
I did not set any settings to the control
(101.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crash down

Post by TiKu »

It doesn't happen here (Windows 7). Does it happen in the compiled program, i.e. the exe file? Then we could try to create a crash dump using BugTrap. This would help me to identify the line of code that causes the crash.
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!
Rucksacktraeger
Lieutenant

It happens compiled and not compiled on WinXP english and WinXP germarn. Attached all project files.

How to make a crash dump? Does the VS2008 debugger help you? It says:
Unbehandelte Ausnahme bei 0x5d097092 in Project1.exe: 0xC0000005:
Zugriffsverletzung beim Lesen an Position 0x00000000.
Attachments
Statsubar.zip
(23.07 KiB) Downloaded 803 times
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

With your sample project it was to reproduce and fix easily, thank you. Your sample project also crashes on Windows 7. I don't know why it did not crash when I tried myself.
The actual crash is caused by a missing NULL check inside comctl32.dll. In other words: It's Microsoft's fault. I have implemented a workaround.

I think I'll release a new version of the StatusBar control within the next 3 days.
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!
Rucksacktraeger
Lieutenant

Hi Timo,
thx a lot for debugging. It's hard to eplain the user: You can do everything - but do not keep the mouse 2 seconds on the Statusbar ;-)