Memory leak?

The place for threads about version 1.x of TimoSoft ExplorerTreeView.

Post by Guest »

It doesn't do it if it doesn't go into the my documents folder at startup, so be sure it is doing that.

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Did I enable the notifications on the Namespace Browser? I have not seen that particular problem but I have seen VET take forever to refresh using the shell notification for a change on our network at work. Of course there are over 10,000 machines on the network <G>.

Jim
www.mustangpeak.net
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

Anonymous wrote:It doesn't do it if it doesn't go into the my documents folder at startup, so be sure it is doing that.
On my system, "My Documents" are on drive D. Here're the cases I've checked:
  1. Leave AutoUpdate enabled and set ExTvw.Path = "D:" on startup. Start the app and plug in the USB stick. ExTvw correctly refreshes without any lockup or mem leak. The same goes for removing the stick.
  2. Disable AutoUpdate and set ExTvw.Path = "D:" on startup. Start the app and plug in the USB stick. ExTvw does nothing - neither refresh nor lockup. The same goes for removing the stick.
  3. Create a folder "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Timo\Eigene Dateien" (the path of "My Documents" if I hadn't changed it) and repeat the above tests with that path. Same results.
@Dan:
Does your Windows have to look up for a driver when you plug in your USB drive? On my system it doesn't, because it already knows the stick.
AFAIR, loading the driver usually takes about 10-20 seconds - coincidence? And as long as there's no driver loaded, the USB drive won't be accessible. But then again, the control shouldn't lockup if AutoUpdate is disabled.
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!

Post by Guest »

The lockups occure anytime files are being added somewhere in the filesystem. They can be on the main drive, or whereever. The point of the memory stick was to have a reliable way to duplicate the problem.

Anyway, I can't get the attachements. I've triad to register and logon, but it contilually kicks me off. Is there somewhere else I can get the attachments?
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

Anonymous wrote:The lockups occure anytime files are being added somewhere in the filesystem. They can be on the main drive, or whereever. The point of the memory stick was to have a reliable way to duplicate the problem.
Okay. Just to prevent misunderstandings: This also happens with AutoUpdate disabled?
Anonymous wrote:Anyway, I can't get the attachements. I've triad to register and logon, but it contilually kicks me off. Is there somewhere else I can get the attachments?
I've checked the forum settings. Make sure you are allowing cookies. If you already do, clear your cookies and restart your browser.
Anyway, here's a direct link: Click me
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC

Post by Guest »

Just for a reference point for Timo you can download a precompiled Explorer clone using my components at:

www.mustangpeak.net

then click on the VirtualShellTools link and in the top box there is a link in this sentence:

Download a sample Explorer type program using VSTools

Does that lock you up with the USB drive?

Jim

Post by Guest »

Something I should mention, is I'm working in VB 5.

Post by Guest »

Something I should mention, is I'm working in VB 5.
If this was directed at my Dephi stuff that is understood. Timo and I collaborate a lot on the core shell stuff so he is just trying to understand if it is the shell system is causing the problem or if it is the way he has implemented it in is components. If my Delphi stuff does the same thing either it is a problem with the notification system that is exposed to the us or we are both doing something wrong. With both of us tracking it dow the odds are better we will find it.

Jim
www.mustangpeak.net
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

Anonymous wrote:Something I should mention, is I'm working in VB 5.
Although you should never say "never", this shouldn't be a problem.

Post by Guest »

I have so far not been able to duplicate the problem with the build you sent me, nor with any of the executables. I will do further testing.
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

Okay, since the problem seems to be gone, I'll prepare the final release of version 1.9.0.