Cannot find Label control

The place for discussions about this website.
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cannot find Label control

Post by TiKu »

The control is based on the "Static" native window class. I thought there would be a window style (SS_* constant) which makes static controls resize themselves automatically dependent on the text. But there isn't. So looks like I'll really have to measure the text and do the resizing myself.
Another problem that still exists: keyboard cues (underlining of mnemonics) do not work as expected. On Windows XP and newer, keyboard cues should be invisible by default and become visible if the ALT key is pressed. This works for my ButtonControls, but for some reason not for the label.

BTW, I'm afraid the label control has the same redrawing speed issues as the button controls.
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!
TickTick
Lt. Commander

Post by TickTick »

Well then good luck! I believe in you!
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

AutoSize is done, see the attachment. The bug with the frame is still there. Maybe I'll change the label control to not be based on the STATIC window class anymore and draw the text manually instead. This might help.
Oh and keyboard cues actually work, I made a mistake when testing it.
Attachments
UniLabelU.zip
(101.36 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
TickTick
Lt. Commander

Post by TickTick »

Hello Timo!
Yes, looks good, but the problem with the Frame+Label is relatively important. As I said, when I click somewhere on the Frame, the label gets invisible.
Hans
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

I've changed the control to a windowless one and am drawing everything manually now.

Everything seems to work now. But I had to remove some things:
  • the events ContextMenu, MouseEnter, MouseHover, MouseLeave, because they don't work with windowless controls (at least not that easy)
  • the events DestroyedControlWindow and RecreatedControlWindow (well, it's a windowless control now)
  • the properties HoverTime and hWnd
  • the rtlLayout flag (it's pointless for label controls)
Keyboard cues are still working. The reason they don't get displayed when pressing ALT although the keyboard hook is set up correctly, is that I did not yet find a windowless way to detect the change of the keyboard cue state and therefore can't redraw the control.
Attachments
UniLabelU.zip
(103.42 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
TickTick
Lt. Commander

Post by TickTick »

Hello! I cannot set RTL, it has no effect.
And the toolbox bitmap for the control is the MFC-symbol now (just in case you care).
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

TickTick wrote:Hello! I cannot set RTL, it has no effect.
It has. Remember that rtlLayout has been removed. The remaining rtlText makes "bla:" to ":bla", i. e. it influences the placement of punctuation marks only. If you really need rtlLayout back, I think I can add it again. But this will be an emulation then. Normally rtlLayout causes the point (0,0) be placed top-right instead of top-left. Using the SetLayout API function, it's possible to make a device context RTL. But windowless controls don't have their own device context, so (0,0) will have to remain top-left.
TickTick wrote:And the toolbox bitmap for the control is the MFC-symbol now (just in case you care).
ATL, not MFC. ;) I've changed the icon on purpose. The old one was the icon of my Animation control.
TickTick
Lt. Commander

Post by TickTick »

I noticed that I need it back when I tried out WordWrap. When using Autosize of course you don't need it.
A bug:
Place the label in a frame and then set RTL true, and it will have a strange background (part of the frame border), although it's nowhere near to the Frame border.
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

I've added rtlLayout back. To keep it simple, the events still use left-to-right coordinates. Let me know if this is a problem.

The drawing issue is very likely another problem with my Frame control (it begins to drive me mad...).
Attachments
UniLabelU.zip
(103.55 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
TickTick
Lt. Commander

Post by TickTick »

Please see my bug report in the button controls bugtracker.
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

How well do you know C++? As I don't find a solution for the remaining drawing bug, I'm thinking about sending you the sourcecode.
TickTick
Lt. Commander

Post by TickTick »

I have given up. My dead line ended, so I don't have use for it anymore.
Regards,
Hans
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

I'm sorry to hear that.
TickTick
Lt. Commander

Post by TickTick »

Timo,
if you find the time, please fix the label. My app was buggy, so I have an extended dead line now.
Regards,
Hans
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

Do you want the C++ source code? I have run out of ideas and do not really have time to work on the control. I think that either the device context's origin gets somehow fucked up or drawing the label validates the whole device context and not just that part that is occupied by the label.