Unicode IME with EditControls problem

The place for threads about TimoSoft EditControls.
samcheuk
Cadet

Unicode IME with EditControls problem

Post by samcheuk »

First of all, thank you for your great control suite that made VB6 developers life easier ;)

Our application developed in VB6 that is mainly support Traditional Chinese.
Recently, we want the application to support multilingual (mostly Asian languages) so that the TextBoxes that are currently using must be changed in order to support unicode.

I have used EditCtlsLibUCtl.TextBox component and it has no problem on displaying words from different languages.
Unfortunately, when I try to input some words from different languages by IMEs, the outputted text on EditCtlsLibUCtl.TextBox is not worked as expected.
After some tries, I discovered that this problem occurs when the parent form 'KeyPreview' property is set to 'True'.

I would like to know whether it is a known issue or it is possible to fix in the coming version?

Thanks for you help! 8-)
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unicode IME with EditControls problem

Post by TiKu »

Hi,

the problem is that the VB6 Form remains an ANSI window and only the textbox control is a unicode window. This causes problems with e.g. the IME editor for Hindi language - for some reason this IME editor seems to work a bit different than for other languages.
The problem that you describe seems to be caused by the same fact. KeyPreview=True makes the Form process the key messages first and I guess that it converts them to ANSI. There's not really anything that I could do to prevent this from happening.

Regards
TiKu
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unicode IME with EditControls problem

Post by TiKu »

This might be fixed with version 1.11.0.
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!