AutoWidth

The place for threads about TimoSoft ButtonControls.
TickTick
Lt. Commander

AutoWidth

Post by TickTick »

Hello!

One feature that I really miss is an "Autowidth" property.
But even if you wanted to include such a feature in e. g. the checkbox, radar button, it would break compatibility, that's why you are not doing it, right?

Regards!
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Re: AutoWidth

Post by TiKu »

For such a property I would have to draw the controls myself (to measure the desired width). This is something that I really want to avoid. I want my controls to be drawn by Windows, so that they look native.
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!
TickTick
Lt. Commander

Post by TickTick »

Okay, I didn't know what exactely you do yourself and what you have done by Windows.

Thanks for the reply!
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

You're welcome.

To go a bit more into detail: There's one control that I actually do draw myself: The Frame control. The reason for this is, that the control flickered alot (under certain circumstances) as long as it was drawn by Windows. Since the Frame control isn't that difficult to replicate and since the flickering was really ugly, I decided to draw this control myself (I use the system settings and the theming API as much as possible though).
Other than that, I do some customized drawing here and there (e. g. I add the close buttons to the tabs in the TabStrip control after Windows has done its drawing), but I do not owner-draw anything.

Okay, if you use the Animation control to play a GIF animation, this is drawn by my code, too. But that's something different...
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!