TextBox - RightToLeft

The place for threads about TimoSoft EditControls.
Herb
Cadet

TextBox - RightToLeft

Post by Herb »

Hello,

I work with EditControls 1.8.2165 on a German windows XP Sp3 system.
For more than 1 year I use the TextBox control to enter e.g. chinese characters and it works wonderful. Thanks for this great controls.

No I started to play with RightToLeft feature of TextBox control and got some unexpected results.
Via context menu I activated writing direction "Right to Left".
Now the cursor is on the right end of the control.
When I enter "1", "2", "3", "4", "5" via keyboard I expected as result to see the text "54321"; but I see "12345" on the right end of the control, which for me is "Left to Right" writing direction.

On the other hand working with the compiled application the context menu contains" Schreibrichtung von rechts nach link", but when I start the application within the IDE the context menu contains "Rechts nach Links Lesefolge".

What do I wrong or where is my misunderstanding?
Thanks for your comments in advance
Herb
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Re: TextBox - RightToLeft

Post by TiKu »

Well, languages that use right-to-left reading, for instance hebrew, can't change mathmatics. So 12345 remains 54321.

Regards
TiKu
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!
Herb
Cadet

Post by Herb »

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, but I still need some help. It is clear, that also in Hebrew digits will be written from left to right.
And sorry I forgot to mention that I use the unicode version of the TextBox.

But in my case also other strings will be written always from left to right (e.g. entering German characters or entering a Chinese characters via IME).
When does it know that I write e.g. in Hebrew?
What is the criteria that the TextBox moves the cursor to the left side of an entered character?
I had expected this always in case of writing direction is RightToLeft.

When I enter the Unicode control character e.g. RLO the cursor is moved to the left side of an entered character.
But what is the logical difference between RLO and writing direction RightToLeft?

Sorry, the goal is not to annoy you, but I still don't see a solution for my problem.
Thanks in advance
Herb
TiKu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by TiKu »

This logic is implemented entirely in Windows. It's not something that my control is controlling.
I think the Unicode standard defines which codepoints (characters) have to change the writing direction.
Crunching for Fab36_Folding-Division at Folding@Home. Join Fab36/Fab30! - Folding@Home and BOINC
Boycott DRM! Boycott HDCP!